SIDEBAR
D
E
B
A
R
Get Started

Japan is the only G-7 country that does not have joint custody as the norm and they are also the only G-7 country that has not signed the Hague Convention on International Child Abduction. Japan also stands as a leader in cross border child abduction by one parent. Children regularly are removed from contact from one of the parents. Recent published statistics state 166,000 children have little or no contact with one of their parents in Japan…

Get Assistance – If you have lost your child or fear you are in danger of losing your child, start here.

Research the Issue – latest news, ongoing cases, and videos on the topic.

Get Active – Join the discussion, events, donate time, money and resources.

Share and Enjoy:
  • services sprite Get Started
  • services sprite Get Started
  • services sprite Get Started

21 Responses
  • David Morgan writes:
    July 22nd, 20108:00 pmat

My two Children, Sean age 12 and Renee age 9 at the time (2008) were taken from their home in Ireland by their mother to Tokyo after spending all their schools years in Ireland. I have not been able to have any contact with them since then and neither has any other member of my family been able to contact them despite several visits to Japan.

• Tim Johnston writes:
    April 2nd, 20111:06 amat

Hi,My name is Tim Johnston.I’m interested in joining and participating in any rallys in order to get Japan to get off it’s ASS and do whats right for Parents who love their children.I have been going non stop since the earthquake to get some News coverage or an aritcle published about this.It’s happened to me now and my ex-wife hasn’t let me see or speak to my son since the earthquake.Why? would she choose this time after 6 years? maybe she thinks I would evacuate and she could tell my son papa passed away?

I will not stand by and let this happen.I will continue to stay here in Japan and make a change for all Fathers and for the world.I will lend my voice thru you- tube or all public media until the politicians finally put their mouth where their money is and do something.

Parents should not suffer and children should not go thru life being brainwashed by one parent and wondering if they were really loved.My father abandoned me as a child and I vow…..I will make a change.My heart was torn and want to make sure My son Kai knows I’m doing my best even if it falls on deaf ears??

Keiko Chiba,John Roos,President Obama could you stand up and take action on this issue.Now!! Not next month not next year but Now!!

Any other Mothers or Fathers who can’t find their children in Japan I will help assist in any way I can. since the earthquake many people are in need of help.But most important are the children.

God Bless,Tim Johnston
    Narita,Chiba

• concerned dad writes:
    April 5th, 20115:04 pmat

Tim,

You are not alone. We have to do everything we can to support our children. The laws themselves in Japan are criminal and this situation cannot be ignored.

• Tim Johnston writes:
    April 5th, 20116:02 pmat

Hi,
    Thank you for the response.
    wish I could attend the group tomorrow in Tokyo.Please keep me informed of the next meeting and all other pertinent info.
    Best regards,Tim

• kwbrow2 writes:
    April 5th, 20116:58 pmat

Tim, There are many good organizations out there. K-net, oyako-net, chubu-kyoudousinken are the main Japanese websites. Children’s Rights Council- Japan is a good American based website. Several parent keep blogs too. Also the meetup left behind parents group based in Tokyo might be of help. There are many parents on facebook too. There are many parent both Japanese and foreign who are in the same boat. Unfortunately change takes place at a glacial pace. I live in Nagoya and work with oyako-net Kansai and chubu-kyoudousinken. If you need more information you can contact me at kwbrow2@yahoo.com. I have been involved with the courts for almost 4 years with no result yet. Take care, hang in there, and email if you need anything. Kevin

• Alexander Elliot writes:
    April 19th, 20115:41 amat

My X-partner departed from me and our home in Japan over five years ago taking my daughter Aki, and was 3 months pregnant with my Son Masaki.

I have tried to contact them for over six years, and back and fourth from the UK to Japan, but even though I stayed 1klm from their home and passed their home many time they did; my X-wife and parents did not bring my children out for me see.

I want my children to know me before they grow up, and that I have always tried to see, meet and be together with them, and support them through my love. My wish is that Japan sign the Hague Convention of 1980, and helps parents to be whole again whether women, men, Father, Mother: Japanese, British, Korean, American etc.

• Alexander Elliot writes:
    April 19th, 20115:45 amat

I am so sorry that Japan has suffered through the Tsunami disaster: many people have lost their lives, and their children.

God bless Japan

• ecway1024 writes:
    May 9th, 20111:45 amat

Hi, my name is CHIU, Tak Ming Eddie. i was married to a Japanese lady and have a daughter, Yumi. My wife were back to Japan for vacation when my daughter was 9 months old and with sudden dead of her father, she decided to stay over there to take care of her mother and didn’t let me see my daughter. After three years of lost contact, she requested divorce in Tokyo and i was asked to go over there for the court case. In the court, she promised me that when my daughter reach 15 years old, she will let me visit her, but recently, when i wrote to her lawyer for the arrangement of the visit, she refused to have any more contact with and i don’t even know where is my daughter. I basically not yet divorce in my country as i didn’t have the documents from tokyo court last time . and i don’t know what to do.
    I have citizenship of switzerland/Hong Kong China and I am from Hong Kong

• Sarah writes:
    July 5th, 201110:07 amat

Tim,

I’m sorry to hear of your story!
    It’s unbelievable that another human being wouldn’t let her Son and Father talk,visit or see each other after such a terrible earthquake. Sounds like your ex- is mind sick or just a poor excuse for a human being.

I wish and pray for you and all the other children and parents in Japan.

Japan will change soon and after all when your son is 18. he can decide. But in Japan there seems to be alot of mental control along with brainwashing. what a pathetic thought isn’t it!

Best wishes,Sarah

• Tim Johnston writes:
    September 3rd, 201112:35 amat

Sarah,
    Thank you for your kind words.I’m now on my 3rd family court mediation hearing and still don’t have access to my son. The Japanese mediators don’t seem to care either. This is driving me mad. I will stay strong.
    Thanks, Tim

• Greg Hansen writes:
    September 11th, 201110:03 pmat

Tim,

Hope your mediation court is going better than mine?

I’m on my 4th mediation hearing and still nothing has progressed. In Japan the Japanese Mothers really brainwash and control the children. This is complete bullshit.

I will leave Japan with my Son. I hope you can do the same. Children need fathers and happy your trying your best.

We need Fathers who keep on fighting in such a racist country for their childrens rights.

God bless you, G

• Tim Johnston writes:
    December 30th, 20115:01 pmat

I HAD MY FIFTH MEDIATION COURT HEARING AND KAIS MOTHER,SEEMS TO WANT MONEY AND DROPPED THE ACCESS CLAIM. IN JAPAN THEY ARE 2 SEPERATE ISSUES. SHE LIED TO THE COURT AND SAID SHE NEEDS MONEY. ANOTHER DESPERATE PLEA TO GET ANYTHING OUT OF HER GOVT. WITHOUT GIVING ME EQUAL RIGHTS OR RESPECT. JAPAN NEEDS A POLITICIAN TO DO SOMETHING,THIS IS BEYOND FRUSTRATING. A GOVERNMENT THAT IS HYPOCRITCAL AND BIAS IN ITS LAWS. LETS HOPE 2012 IS A GOOD YEAR!!

• Brian Edwards writes:
    January 15th, 201211:00 pmat

I’m caught in the same dillema. I’m living in Arizona and my wife kidnapped my child to Japan. I went there last year and the grandparents lied and said,they don’t know where the daughter and my daughter were living. I will come to Japan in the springtime and participate in demos to try and get rights to see my daughter. The lawyers in Japan have been giving me conflicting recomendations. Anyone out there know where to get a lawyer in Japan, who is fair and for helping a father get access to his daughter?

• Brian Edwards writes:
    May 28th, 20129:56 pmat

Hi Brian,
    Sorry to her about your case. I saw a lawyer recently and got his card if that helps? (not sure if he’s worthy or not) but gave me some sound advice.

I’m living in Japan now near the airport. If there’s anything you need or anyway I can assist you with some info. don’t hesitate. Keep your chin up.

Tim Johnston
    Narita,Japan
    Father of (Kai Endo)

• Tim Johnston writes:
    December 14th, 20126:49 pmat

Just wanted to let you know the story of My Son Kai Endo and myself. Was in Tokyo families Magazine this month.
    December 1,2012.

He is on the cover of the magazine.

Here is the link:

Tim Johnston
    Narita,Japan

Kai Endo
    Narita,Japan

• Masaki Inoue writes:
    December 18th, 20129:17 amat

I saw your article in the Tokyo Families magazine and am in a similiar dillema now.

I’m glad to find this site and hear of your stories. My 4 year old daughter and ex- disappeared last week. Their address and telephone numbers have been changed. I’m in desperate need of some advice of how to proceed.
    Masaki

• Tim Johnston writes:
    April 3rd, 201310:43 pmat

Hi Masaki,
    Please contact me, if you have time?
    Sorry to hear of your situation and we all feel your pain. If there’s any advice or help, I can assist you with?
    Let me know and Best of Luck in locating your precious daughter.

God Bless,
    Tim Johnston
    Narita,Chiba Japan

• Thomas Dehn writes:
    July 17th, 20133:15 amat

Hello everyone,
    Two years ago my Japanese wife was pregnant with our son (now 2)
    While still pregnant, she fled back to Japan and told me she would never come to America again, and the only way for me to see my son is if I moved to Japan.
    So I left my high paying job, home, car, everything to live with my wife under her parents’ house and start my life a new.
    Things went downhill from there. She and her parents fought violently with me over the smallest of issues, and my wife would repeatedly “run off” for days at a time with my son to unknown parts when we had argument over something so trivial as crumbs on the table. The third time she ran away, her parents kicked me out of the house into the streets of Tokyo with no money or friends or place to live.

I was working at the time, and for three months I begged my wife via email every day to let me see my son.
    She refused always, and she demanded half of my salary to “pay back” her parents for taking care of my son.
    So I did this for three months and lived either in a hostel or with friends as I could not afford rent or food. My weight dropped dangerously and my health began to wane.

Luckily, my old job called me and wanted me to come back, and after much long debate and painful consideration,
    i knew that fighting for my son as a poor gaijin in Japan would be of no avail. The police would not intervene, citing “its a family matter.” With no money, no place to live and few options, I was forced to move back home.
    I send support to my son every month, but now my wife states that I “abandoned” my son, and therefore I should have no rights at all to ever see him again.

What can I do?
    My son is an American citizen (with passport) but also his is a Japanese citizen.

Thanks for any advice,
    Tom

• Tim Johnston writes:
    September 15th, 20136:34 pmat

Tom,
    Sorry to hear of your painful story! Just remember their are many others out there. We need to support each other. Your story is heart breaking to hear. If, you need assistance when you visit Japan? your welcome to stay at my house, near the Airport or, if you need anything that I or any others in Japan can do to help you get access to your children. Let Us know?

I hope your matters are resolved and peace finds you!

Tim Johnston
    Narita,Japan

• Thomas Dehn writes:
    September 17th, 20131:13 amat

Hello Tim,
    Thanks for the kinds words and offer.
    I agree in that we should support one another.

Question: Do any of you send support?
    I do. For my support I receive a photo or two (and often the same one as the previous month, which shows her lack of consideration)
    and If I am lucky, one or two sentences about how my son is doing something negative.

I worry that if I discontinue support, she will cease even sending photos.
    Photos are all I have of my son.
    Perhaps I’m simply giving into her game.

What is your opinion?

• Tim Johnston writes:
    September 18th, 20137:24 amat

Hello Tom,
    I’ve never received a picture of my son or even any sort of phone call, letter or anything. The only way I have been able to see my son is thru the Judge at the Mediation courts. I have been to 7 mediation hearings in which they lied, she lied and the Govt. lied to give the mother all the rights without the mental well being of my child in mind. no to mention We, fathers love our children and they need to feel the love and not be one sided from the Moms or Japanese Govt.

I just paid 500,000 yen, cause she said she needed things for my son. I paid and not even a thank you and any form of respect. I pay every month as well with no rights.
    Where is your child living in Japan?

Will you come to visit?

Hang in there and if you want my private mail. Let me know? Hopefully we can help to change these laws or the U.S. cuts off aid to Japan until they respect foreign residents and Fathers of all countries with equal rights.

It’s shockingly absurd and feel the pain daily.
    Aloha,